The Diocese continues to strengthen its mission and ministry across central and
north western Victoria

Home News Parishes Registry The Bishop History The Spirit Documents Contact

History

The original Diocese of Bendigo was created under The New Dioceses Act 1901 of the Synod of the Diocese of Melbourne and came into being on the enthronement of the first Bishop on 5th March, 1902. It comprised the central part of Victoria, north of the Great Dividing Range.


The Diocese of St Arnaud, created by the Diocese of Ballarat and comprising the northern part of that Diocese, came into being on the enthronement of its first Bishop on 30th September, 1926.

On 1st January 1977, the two Dioceses amalgamated to form the present Diocese of Bendigo which comprises broadly that part of Victoria north of the Great Dividing Range and west of the Goulburn River, except that in the west the boundary skirts the Wimmera on a line roughly parallel to the Murray River. The area of the Diocese is approximately 65,000 square kilometres.

More Information

The official history of the Diocese by Keith Cole is available from the Diocesan Registry:

4 Myers Street,
Bendigo Vic 3550

Postal Address:
PO Box 2
Bendigo Vic 3552

Phone: +61 3 5443 4711

registrar@bendigoanglican.org.au